October 01, 2013
Kick Off of the Sheriffs Commanders Academy
By: Steve Casey, Executive Director
Last week I had the pleasure of being on hand for the kick off the very first “Florida Sheriffs Commanders Academy." The Academy was designed by the Sheriffs to ensure that staff who are assigned command responsibility have the background and information they need to carry out their responsibilities. The program was developed in conjunction with the Florida Criminal Justice Executive Institute and is taught primarily by Sheriffs and their key staff. FSA President Sheriff Grady Judd was also there to welcome the 31 commanders from the more than 19 different Sheriff’s offices across state. During the two-week program, the commanders are presented information on leadership, ethics, Government in the Sunshine, managing the Office of Sheriff, employee relations, effective discipline, fiscal administration and civil litigation, along with topics exclusive to operations of their offices, such as jail administration, civil process management, warrants and extradition coordination, and courthouse security. The program is held at the Florida Public Safety Institute, a Criminal Justice Standards & Training - approved training center located in Havana, Florida. For more information on the program please contact FSA Law Enforcement Coordinator David Brand at 850-877-2165 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. In closing, I want to thank everyone who has been involved in the development of the program to date. I feel confident that this program will assist Sheriffs greatly in preparing our next generation of leaders to come.
Behind the Badge is the official blog of the Florida Sheriffs Association.
Want to leave a comment?
- The Role Sheriffs Play in the Reforming of our Laws and Law Enforcement
- Rules to Follow When Calling 911
- National Telecommunicators Week – help us recognize these important people!
- 5 Points with Sheriff Ken Mascara
- Florida Sheriffs Rescue One of their Own at Winter Conference
- The Peacekeepers and the Role They Play In Our Lives
- The Importance of Supporting Law Enforcement Training
- Attorney General Commends Florida Sheriffs
- The Challenge and Meaning of Leadership
- Why Sheriffs Speak Out On Key Public Safety Issues