Most important of all, during the holiday season stay safe and make sure your family stays safe as well. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
* Decorations can be fun, and beautiful during the holidays. Make sure you read all the instructions on the box of holiday lights you are putting up, though. If you string too many lights together, or use lights rated for indoor use outdoors, you could be risking a fire. Also make sure you turn all your holiday lights off when leaving home, just in case.
* If you have a real Christmas tree, make sure you keep it moist by watering it regularly. If a tree gets dry, it can more easily catch fire.
* Many people like to light candles during the holidays. Make sure you only light candles when someone is going to be in the room.
* When it gets colder, a space heater comes in handy. They can easily catch fire, however, if they are knocked over or if they overheat or short out. Never leave a space heater unattended.
* Make sure you don’t have a big pile of holiday gifts easily visible through the windows of your house, especially when you aren’t at home. Close the curtains or blinds to keep criminals from “casing” your home for a burglary.
* Always lock your doors, even at night while you are home sleeping. If you leave your windows open while you sleep, make sure they aren’t easy to reach from outside your house. It isn’t unheard of for criminals to enter a home through an unlocked door or open window while a family is asleep inside.