How to Protect Yourself When Walking Alone
Walking alone on the street can be a dangerous thing, especially in an unfamiliar neighborhood. It is extremely important for you to be vigilant about staying safe until you arrive at home. There are several precautions you can take to avoid putting yourself in a dangerous situation when walking. These include walking with a friend, staying alert (avoid using headphones), and not apporaching unfamiliar vehicles. We also encourage you to follow these tips from the Osceola County Sheriff's Office:
- Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areasl use well-li, well-traveled routes.
- Dress in clothes and shoes which will not hamper movement.
- If you sense you are in trouble:
- Move away from the potential threat if possible.
- Join any group of people nearby; cross the street and increase your pace.
- If a threatening situation is imminent, and people are close by to help, yell, scream or make a commotion in any way you can to get their attention.
- Go to an open business.
- Call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
For more tips please visit the Florida Sheriffs Association’s Crime Prevention Tips.