FSA and the Legislative Process
One of the Florida Sheriffs Association’s primary roles and responsibilities is to support and monitor legislation that ensures public safety in Florida. Both during the legislative session and throughout the year, FSA’s legislative team is actively working with lawmakers to ensure that bills are introduced and passed that are in the best interests of Florida citizens and protect the ability of Florida law enforcement to keep communities safe.
Final Summaries and Resolutions from the 2017 Legislative Session
- 2017 End of Session Report (PDF)
- FSA 2017 Legislative Wrap Up Webinar (PDF)
- Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles 2017 Legislative Summary (PDF)
- Resolution to in Support of Legislation to Amend Florida's Constitution to Ensure Sheriffs are Independently Elected (PDF)
- Resolution in Support of a Victims’ Bill of Rights and Ensuring the Independence of Constitutional Officers (PDF)
- Juvenile Diversion Programs
- Holding Prolific Juvenile Offenders Accountable
- Comprehensive Drug Control
Important Legislative Links
The legislative process is most effective when everyone participates. If you are not a regular at the Capitol, the following links may be helpful. For additional legislative resources for Sheriffs only, click here.
- Stay updated on the bills FSA is monitoring with our Bill Tracker
- Find your elected officials in Florida, using just your home address, city and zip code.
- Official web page for the Florida House of Representatives.
- Official web page for the Florida Senate.
- The Florida Channel provides live coverage of legislative committee meetings and you can also use it to catch any missed meetings.
- The Office of Economic and Demographic Research (EDR) provides information on the fiscal impacts of bills.
- The Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability (OPPAGA) conducts policy research on the performance of state programs and provides information and recommendations to the legislature.
- Online Sunshine, the official Internet site of the Florida legislature.
- Refer to the Florida Sheriffs Association's Annual Guide to Government for photos, biographies, contact information for state agencies and more.
- Tips for more effective communication with your senator(s) and representative(s).