The Florida Sheriffs Association continues to develop online education programs in order to reduce the costs associated with traditional classroom training. We also partner with government entities and private businesses to make the most up-to-date curriculum and certification available through our “virtual” classroom.
Select from the following links to find current offerings:
- FSA Webinars. This is where you'll find the latest webinar postings as well as recordings and resources from past webinars.
- FDLE's "Introduction to Human Trafficking" online program. Optional training for law enforcement.
- Standards For Photographic Or Live Lineups In Eyewitness Identification. Developed by FDLE's Florida Criminal Justice Executive Institute staff. Certified officers may be awarded one hour of training that can be applied toward the 40 hour mandatory retraining requirement. This course contains two modules. To successfully complete the training you must take each module in sequence. Access the course
- Law Enforcement and Prosecution: Working Together to Win Sexual Battery Cases. This training is designed for law enforcement responding officers and investigators. It features three interviews with Florida Assistant State Attorneys discussing key issues related to investigative practices that promote successful prosecutions of sexual battery cases.The Florida Bar awarded one general training CLE for the course. Details and access to the course (when you arrive on the website, click on the title of the talk to log in).
- Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR) “roll-call” video training for sworn officers. This training consists of a video on the National SAR Initiative and how SARs are handled in Florida. The 20-minute training provides officers guidance in detecting and reporting suspicious behaviors inherent to pre-operational planning by terrorists. Details on the training
- Department of Homeland Security. Find a number of courses available for completion online through the National Domestic Security Consortium.
- Two New Modules on Crime Analysis. George Mason University's Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy's Matrix Demonstration Project, which is funded by BJA, recently released two new online training modules: "Crime Analysis for Commanders" and "Crime Analysis for Operations." These BJA-funded trainings are an excellent –and free – resource for those interested in crime analysis and how it can benefit law enforcement operations.
Other important training opportunities:
Officer-Involved Domestic Violence
A Prevention Curriculum: A free, six module training program offered through the Law Enforcement Families Partnership (LEFP) Institute for Family Violence Studies, College of Social Work at Florida State University. This course counts toward the Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission's mandatory training requirement.
Access the Officer Involved Domestic Violence online program
Additional Officer-Involved Domestic Violence resources:
Officer Involved Domestic Violence Tool Kit and supporting documents: Introduction to the Toolkit (pdf) Single Point of Contact log-in instructions (pdf)
The Florida Criminal Justice Executive Institute, located within the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s (FDLE) Bureau of Professional Development has created professional, comprehensive and interesting online training courses that satisfy the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission’s (CJSTC) mandate for officer re-certification. These courses include the five mandatory topics: Juvenile Sexual Offender Investigation, Discriminatory Profiling & Professional Traffic Stops/Human Diversity, Domestic Violence, Elder Abuse, Physiological Response Dynamics Training Video (however no training hours will be given for this course) and other courses of interest to law enforcement personnel. All training hours are free and eligible for use toward the CJSTC 40-hour mandatory retraining requirement.
Please click on the following links for instructions and information on obtaining credit and to receive an official FDLE Training Certificate of Completion for each online training course:
Instructions Utilizing the FDLE Online Training Certificate System (pdf)
Access all CJSTC mandatory online re-training courses
The following are examples of CJSTC courses offered through FDLE:
- Discriminatory Profiling & Professional Traffic Stop (includes the required Human Diversity Training)
- Domestic Violence
- Juvenile Sexual Offender Investigations
- Elder Abuse Investigations
- Advanced Interviewing Skills in Law Enforcement
- Constitutional Considerations
- Criminal Justice Officer Ethics
- Criminal Prosecution
- Fundamentals of Search & Seizure
- Practical Techniques for Interviewing in Law Enforcement
- Self-Disclosure in Law Enforcement Field Interviews
- Standard for Photographic or Live Lineups in Eyewitness Identification
- Stress Management in Law Enforcement
- The Fourth Amendment Practical Guidelines for Search and Seizure
- Understanding Discovery in Criminal Prosecution
- Use and Control of Informants: A Patrol Officer's Primer (includes “Rachel’s Law”)
- Physiological Response Dynamics Training Video (No training hours awarded)