Prison Rape Elimination Act Workshop
- Clarion Suites Maingate, 7888 W. Irlo Bronson Highway, Kissimmee, FL
- June 22, 2017 at 8:00am - June 23, 2017 at 1:00pm
Dates & Times:
June 22, 2017 (8 a.m. — 5 p.m.)
June 23, 2017 (9 a.m. — 1 p.m.)
Clarion Suites Maingate
7888 W. Irlo Bronson Highway
Host Agency: Osceola County Corrections Department, Chief of Corrections Sherry Johnson
Florida Sheriffs Association
DOJ PREA Auditor, DOJ TTA Advisor
Lieutenant Juanita Thorton
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
DOJ PREA Auditor
Sergeant David Harvey
Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office
DOJ Certified PREA Auditor
Inspector James Aguiar
Sumter County Sheriff's Office
DOJ Certified PREA Auditor
Mr. James Kenney
Osceola County Corrections Department
Agency PREA Coordinator
The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), which was signed into law by President George W. Bush on September 4, 2003, was created to eliminate sexual abuse in confinement. "PREA" is simply training, screening, first response, investigation, and victim-centered care. To the extent possible, agencies should strive to integrate PREA into existing training, screening, emergency response, investigation, and health care procedures. Corrections practitioners who have been working successfully to implement sexual abuse prevention and response policies often say that what PREA requires is what any professionally run correctional agency should already be doing to ensure the safety and security of its personnel and operations.
During this twelve hour PREA "Workshop" the following PREA Presentations will be reviewed:
- PREA Overview (Getting started)
- Developing a PREA Compliance Policy
- Trans-Males, Trans-Females and the Use of Protective Custody
- Developing an "Internal Audit/Self-Assessment Process
- Maintaining Compliance
- The Audit Process (Pre, On-Site and Post Audit)
- Developing a "Risk Assessment Tool"
- Staff and Inmate Training
- Specialized Training (Investigators, Medical and Mental Health)
- Retaliation (Staff and Inmates)
- Incident Reviews
Who should attend: PREA Coordinator, PREA Compliance Managers, Investigators and those who have the responsibility of developing compliance strategies with the PREA Act of 2003.
Class: Class size is limited to 21 participants, registration is first come, first served basis.
Registration: Complete the registration form.
Clarion Suites Maingate, 7888 W. lrlo Bronson Highway, Kissimmee, FL., 407-594-8674
Host Hotel: The Florida Hotel and Conference Center, 1500 San Lake Road, Orlando, FL. 32809, 407-859-1500;
Sheraton Suites Orlando Airport, 7550 Augusta National Drive, Orlando, FL. 32822, 407-240-5555;
Radisson Resort Orlando Celebration, 2900 Parkway Blvd., Kissimmee, FL. 34747, 1-866-794-7985.
- more events this day Thu, June 22, 2017 at 8:00am - Fri, June 23, 2017 at 1:00pm